Matthew 6:9-13 - After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom
come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive
our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory,
The Sermon for This Week is: Is God Your Father?
- John 8:42 - Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself,
but he sent me.
1. We often hear people speak of the “Fatherhood of God”...
a. Suggesting that all people are the children of God
b. There is some truth to that, for we are all the offspring of God - cf. Acts 17:28-29 - For
in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone,
graven by art and man's device.
2. Yet in one sense, not everyone has God as their Father...
a. Jesus identified some who did not have God as their Father - John 8:42 - Jesus said unto
them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither
came I of myself, but he sent me.
b. He even said their father was the devil! - John 8:44 - Ye are of
your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.
He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie,
he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
3. Who is your Father? God or the devil...?
a. If God is your Father, you will love Jesus - cf. John 8:42 - Jesus said unto them,
If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came
I of myself, but he sent me.
b. Love of the Son is proof that we have God as our Father
[Do we love the Son? How does love for Jesus express itself? We prove that God is our Father when we
love the Son in at least seven ways. For example...]
I. BY TRUSTING IN JESUS
A. CAN LOVE EXIST WHERE THERE IS NO TRUST...?
1. Between husband and wife?
2. Between friends?
B. SO TRUST IN JESUS IS INHERENT TO LOVING HIM...
1. He asks us to trust Him - cf. John 14:1 - Let not your heart be
troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2. How can we say that we love Him, if we don’t trust Him?
C. DO WE REALLY TRUST JESUS...?
1. To be the way, the truth, the life (enough to put our souls in His hands)? - John 14:6 - Jesus
saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
2. To be the provider of our daily needs (enough to put the kingdom first)? - Matthew 6:33 - But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
[If we trust Jesus in this way, we must surely love Him - and thus God is our Father! But we also show
our love for Jesus...]
II. BY OBEYING HIS COMMANDMENTS
A. KEEPING HIS COMMANDMENTS IS INDICATIVE OF LOVE...
1. As Jesus made clear, time and again - John 14:15 - If ye love me,
keep my commandments. - John 14:21 - He that hath my commandments, and keepeth
them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself
to him. - John 14:23-24 - Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me,
he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
- John 15:10 - If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as
I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
2. Can anything be more clear?
a. Yet some might accuse us of “legalism” because we stress keeping His commands
b. If keeping His commandments is legalism, then I plead guilty, because:
1) I love Him and want to abide in His love
2) Don’t you?
B. YET MANY FAIL TO DO WHAT JESUS TEACHES...
1. He said to repent (Mark 1:14-15 - Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into
Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom
of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.) - but many don’t, while professing to love Him
2. He said to be baptized and observe all that He commanded (Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. - Matthew
28:19-20 - Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have
commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the
end of the world. Amen.)
- yet many say baptism is not a necessary command
[Jesus said it best in Luke 6:46 - And why call ye me, Lord, Lord,
and do not the things which I say? If God is our Father, we will obey Jesus Him gladly because we love Him. We
also show love for Jesus...]
III. BY DELIGHTING IN HIS COMPANY
A. IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE, YOU ENJOY BEING WITH THEM...
1. E.g., friends, loved ones
2. Can you imagine someone loving Jesus, but not wanting to be with Him?
B. YET IT SEEMS DO NOT ENJOY BEING WITH CHRIST...!
1. Demonstrated by their disregard for His Word revealed by the Spirit - John 16:12-14
- I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but
whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will
shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew
it unto you.
a. They don’t make the effort to read it
b. They don’t take advantage of opportunities to study it
2. Demonstrated by their lack of prayer which Jesus is willing to answer - cf. Jn 14:13-14
a. They don’t pray as they should privately
b. They don’t appreciate the blessing of congregational prayer
3. Demonstrated by their sporadic attendance - cf. Matthew 18:20 - For
where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
a. Where Jesus has promised to be present
b. Where many seem to pass by opportunities to assemble
C. WHY SUCH DISREGARD FOR THE COMPANY OF CHRIST...?
1. For those new in faith, it is likely ignorance
2. For others, Satan and sin has hardened them into complacency - cf. Hebrews 3:12-14 - Take
heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another
daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers
of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
[If we love Jesus, we will love the opportunities to be in His company. We will also show our love...]
IV. BY SPEAKING ABOUT HIM
A. WE OFTEN DEMONSTRATE LOVE THIS WAY...
1. “Let me tell you about my grandchildren!”
2. “You want to see the latest pictures?”
B. SO THE EARLY CHURCH DEMONSTRATED THEIR LOVE FOR JESUS...
1. E.g., the apostles - Acts 5:41-42 - And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing
that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to
teach and preach Jesus Christ.
2. E.g., those scattered abroad by persecution - Acts 8:1 - And Saul was consenting unto his
death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered
abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles. - Acts 8:4 - Therefore they that were
scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.
C. DO WE NOT LOVE THE LORD...?
1. How can we be the children of God, if we are ashamed to speak of His Son?
2. Imagine treating your family that way
[We should always be ready to speak about Jesus (cf. 1 Peter 3:15 - But sanctify the Lord God
in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to
every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:). We also show our love...]
V. BY WILLINGLY SUFFERING FOR HIM
A. MANY MAKE GREAT SACRIFICES FOR OTHERS...
1. Parents give up much to be able to have and support children
2. People are willing to jeopardize their lives for loved ones
3. Even a dog will risk his life to save his master
B. DO WE LOVE OUR LORD ANY LESS...?
1. Especially when we receive salvation through His suffering? - Hebrews 5:7-9 - Who in the
days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to
save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he
suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
2. Paul called Timothy to join in suffering with him for Christ - cf. 2 Timothy 1:7-12 - For
God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of
the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the
power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our
works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made
manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to
light through the gospel: Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. For the which
cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he
is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
3. Peter likewise enjoins all to suffer willingly if need be - cf. 1 Peter 2:19-21 - For this
is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For
what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but
if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is
acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye
should follow his steps: - 1 Peter 4:1 - Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves
likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
[Another way to express our love for Jesus, and thereby prove that God is our Father...]
VI. BY LONGING TO BE LIKE HIM
A. CHILDREN DEMONSTRATE LOVE THROUGH IMITATION...
1. By adapting mannerisms of the parents they love
2. Some good, some not (such as bad habits)
B. CAN ONE SAY THEY LOVE JESUS, BUT NOT WANT TO BE LIKE HIM...?
1. Especially when imitating Jesus is the goal of Christian doctrine?
2. Note Colossians 3:9-11 - Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man
with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image
of him that created him: Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond
nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. - Galatians
2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now
live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
[Finally, we show love for Jesus...]
VII. BY DESIRING TO PLEASE HIM
A. CONSIDER PEOPLE IN LOVE...
1. What man or woman won’t go out of their way to please the one they love?
2. They’ll change clothes, mannerisms, hobbies, etc.
B. CHRISTIANS ARE TO BE SIMILAR...
1. For we are a pure virgin betrothed to Christ - cf. 2 Corinthians 11:2 - For I am jealous
over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as
a chaste virgin to Christ.
2. Because of His love for us, we should live for Him - 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 - For the love
of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that
he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose
3. Do you have a compelling desire to please Christ?
4. You do if you truly love Him!
1. If one does not love the Lord Jesus, they are accursed - cf. 1 Corinthians 16:22 - If any
man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.
a. Why? Because if you do not love Jesus then God is not your Father, Satan is!
b. If God is your Father, then you will love the Son and demonstrate in these various ways!
2. How does one initially become a child of God? - cf. Galatians 3:26-27 - For ye are all the
children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
a. It involves faith, and putting Christ on in baptism
b. This demonstrates our love for Christ as well
c. For we are willing to become one with Him, just as two in marriage become one out of love
your Father? Do you love Jesus enough to obey Him and become a child of God?
Prayer: Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall
be damned - Lord I truly thank You for giving the
opportunity to present these words to my brethrens. I pray that You will keep them in Your blessings and accept them into
Your heart - this I pray in the name of Thy Son, Jesus, the Messiah, Your only
begotten son which Ye sent to save mankind from themselves. Amen
This sermon is in the Public Domain - Free for all to use with the only requirement:
That it never be used for profit.
Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father
and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity.
Amen. - Ephesians 6:23-24